Conservation Plan draft
The Conservation Commission has completed a draft of our town’s new Conservation Plan. We will be holding a public hearing to get comments and input for the Plan on Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 7 p.m. at the Mann House. Please come and contribute your ideas for conservation in Mason.
Land Conservation in Mason: A Historical Perspective
- A Tribute to Mason’s Generous Landowners (PDF, 4.8 MB) presents a chronological history of land donation in Mason.
- Land Conservation in Mason: A Historical Perspective (PNG, 2.8 MB) is an annotated map of Mason showing important land conservation events.
Botanical Report on the Mason Quarry Conservation Area
According to the report:
“In 2013, the New England Wild Flower Society conducted a botanical inventory of the Mason Quarry Conservation Area for the Town of Mason. The inventory covered the quarry parcel (E-26 and E-27), Downs Forest (E-36), Beck lot (E-38), Jefts lot (E-28), the Coyne Wildlife Sanctuary (E-22), plus two small triangular parcels East of the railroad tracks on Scripps Lane (Appendix A).
…This botanical report includes the results of the inventory, a discussion of the findings, visuals aides such as maps and photographs, and management recommendations for the Area.”
Click here (2.7MB) to download the botanical inventory report.
This project was made possible by a generous donation from Catherine Schwenk.
Natural Resources Inventory
- Natural Resources Inventory (PDF, 1 MB) from 2018
- Slides from the 2018 NRI presentation (PDF, 11.6 MB) from 2018
- Forest & Farmland Soils (PNG, 3.65 MB)
- Hydrologic Resources (PNG, 3.6 MB)
- Unfragmented Habitat Blocks (PNG, 3 MB)
- Wildlife Habitat Ranking (PNG, 3.35 MB)
- Wildlife Habitat Types (PNG, 4.4 MB)
- Parcels & Contours (PNG, 5.4 MB). (This one is intended for use as an overlay with the other maps.)
Maps are formatted for printing at 30 by 36 inches. You can print them at smaller sizes, but the smaller the size, the less detail you’ll be able to see.
- Guide to New Hampshire Timber Harvesting Laws (Nov. 2012) (The original is posted here: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000253_Rep274.pdf) The section, “Timber Harvesting Laws”, lists the setbacks that are required under the Basal Area Law and Slash Law.
- Mason Road Map (2015)
- Tax maps & 911 map
- Zoning Map (2015)
- Conservation Lands Map (2015)
- Conservation and Untaxed Lands (2011)
- Aquifer and Wellhead Protection Map (2015)
- Invasive Plants (2011) 8.5 x 11 inches
- Invasive Plants (2011) 24 x 24 inches
- Mason Railroad Val Sheets
Mason RR Trail Trestle Restoration Project at Jackson Road
- 2013_RR_Trestle_Final_Report (.PDF 964 KB) Final report on the Mason RR Trail Jackson Road Trestle repair project, July 2013. The Commission was awarded a NH RTP grant which covered most of the cost.
- 2013_BlackBrook_Knotweed_Control_Report (.PDF 480 KB) Report about Knotweed control work along the Mason RR Trail, July 2013. This work counted as part of the grant matching for the above trestle repair grant.